What are Traineeships?
Traineeships are short periods of training and work experience designed for learners who aren’t ready for an Apprenticeship or to start work. The flexibility of Traineeships offers employers the opportunity to help build a pool of high-quality future recruits for their sector. They are also an ideal opportunity for young people aged 16–24 who are motivated to get a job but lack the skills and experience that employers are looking for.
For more information, see our Traineeships Explained page.
Why deliver Traineeships with NCFE CACHE?
Our unique Traineeship offer includes:
- A variety of fundable Traineeship programmesin different industry sectors. All of our example Traineeship programmes break down the funding allocations so you can easily see what is available. They also contain regulated qualifications which will add to the quality and rigour of your delivery. See our sample Traineeship programmes.
- Free learning resourcesfor many of our qualifications. Our ‘delivery-ready’ package includes Tutor delivery plans, a PowerPoint presentation and a series of supporting learner resources.
- A mix and match package to allow you to tailor your Traineeships to individual learners. With over 200 fundable qualifications to choose from, including a suite of maths and English qualifications, why would you go anywhere else? Our Traineeship Builder is presented in an easy-to-use spreadsheet, with one tab showing EFA-fundable qualifications and another showing SFA-fundable qualifications
- Our Endorsed Learning Programmesallow you to develop your own in-house training to suit the needs of employers, learners and local skills requirements. If you prefer to use your own training courses as part of a Traineeship programme, our accreditation team will be happy to help you. Your learners will also receive a certificate of achievement at the end of their course. For more information, see our Endorsed Learning Programmes page.
How are Traineeships funded?
Traineeships cross over the two Further Education funding streams: 16–19 Traineeships should support the Study Programme principles, and 19–24 Traineeships should follow the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) funding rules.
- 16–18 Traineeships should fit alongside and support the Education Funding Agency (EFA) principles.
- Providers without an EFA contract can deliver Traineeships to 16–19 year olds through their SFA contract for provision of Apprenticeships/Traineeships.
- 19–24 year olds should comply with the SFA funding rules.
- 18–24 year olds can now claim welfare Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) payments when undertaking a Traineeship.
- Funding is provided in one block for the whole Traineeship, not by qualification.
You can use our Traineeship Builder to help build your Traineeship and see which qualifications are fundable. Please note: although every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of this document, we recommend that you refer to the latest version of the LARS database or the SFA funding catalogue to ensure the qualification you wish to deliver is eligible for funding.
We have provided some useful links below:
Traineeships in Wales
Welsh Traineeships, which are available for 16 and 17 year olds only, are funded by the Welsh Government and the European Social Fund. Unlike in England, trainees are paid a wage and additional expenses, such as an allowance for travel. Those not ready for work can take part in community projects to build their confidence and competence in working with others, while more experienced learners can study up to Level 3 through the Steps to Employment programme. Traineeships in Wales have no fixed duration but instead stipulate the number of hours required – between 12 and 30 per week depending on the Traineeship level. Traineeships in Wales are only available in the Childcare, Animal Welfare, Building, Business Administration, Catering, Engineering, Hairdressing and IT sectors, and are available through 16 authorised Traineeship providers. Further information on Welsh Traineeships is available on the Welsh Government website.
Get in touch
At NCFE CACHE, we can help you to plan and deliver your personalised Traineeships programmes, ensuring your learners are prepared and confident in moving their education or workplace development forward.
For further support with funding queries, please email email@example.com.